Visiting the Garden
Hours: Open daily, 7:30 AM-5:30 PM
Pricing: Free admission. Fees are required for some education programs.
Facilities: The Children’s Garden is entirely out-of-doors. Two port-a-johns are present on site. Hand sanitizer is recommended. Our new three-tier drinking fountain accommodates pets and people. Picnic tables, benches, and trash cans are plentiful.
Accessibility: There are no paved surfaces in the garden. The ground is gently sloping with grass and pine straw covering most areas. One port-a-john is wheelchair accessible.
Supervision: The CCG educator and volunteers do not take responsibility for children visiting the garden or attending programs. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Staffing: Scheduled programs will be staffed accordingly.
Weather: As the CCG is outdoors, events will be cancelled or re-scheduled in the case of inclement weather.
Pets: Pets are permitted but must be leashed. Please clean up after your pet! We do provide bags and trash cans for pet waste.
Safety: The Sandhill REC is also a nature preserve, home to many species of native animals and aquatic life. The plentiful turtles and occasional alligator are fun to look at, but keep a safe distance. Fishing, hunting, campfires, camping and outdoor cooking are prohibited except in cases where special permission has been obtained. Please report any violation of these policies or any questionable behavior observed to Sandhill REC main office, at 803-788-5700. If you encounter an emergency please call 911 and tell them you are at the Clemson Sandhill REC located at 900 Clemson Road in northeast Columbia. If advisable you may choose to send a member of your party to one of the site’s main roads to further direct emergency responders to the exact area.
Volunteer Workdays: Garden workdays are held monthly. If your service group is interested in scheduling a work day, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Carolina Children’s Garden is located at the Clemson Sandhill Research and Education Center at 900 Clemson Rd. near the intersection of Clemson Rd. and Two Notch Rd. in northeast Columbia.
- Enter the Clemson Sandhill REC from the entrance across from the Walgreen’s at Village at Sandhill.
- When you reach the main intersection with the brown sign, compost garden, and un-walled shelter, turn right.
- Pass by the brick Extension building, the barns, and the white cottage.
- Just before you reach the gated exit onto Two Notch Road, you will see a small brown sign indicating “Children’s Garden” and pointing to the left. Turn left!
- Go through the parking lot of the two-story white house and continue onto the dirt road.
- Pass the orchard and the field. When you see another brown sign for the Children’s Garden, follow the arrow down to the parking lot.
- You have arrived! By the time you reach the parking area, you will have traveled approximately 1 mile along the roads of the Clemson Sandhill REC.
Carolina Children’s Garden is managed by the Friends of the Children’s Garden in cooperation with Clemson University Sandhill Research and Education Center. Clemson University offers its programs to people of all ages, regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital or family status and is an equal opportunity employer.